Have you and your spouse (or significant other) hit a relationship rut? You love each other, but every day is the same. Get up. Go to work. Come home. Take care of life’s little duties. Go to bed. Rinse and repeat. You no longer “date” each other and the rare evenings out are the same dinner and movies every time. Not that there is anything wrong with dinner and movies. I love a good movie. Hook me up with a Mexican fiesta and a Marvel superhero movie and I’m good! Heck – I even like Netflix and chill (ask your teen what that is for a bit of fun). But has your relationship become all Netflix and no “chill”?
My advice to break up the relationship doldrums? Get active. Better solution? Get active together. A sedentary lifestyle decreases libido, killing the sex drive. Exercise increases blood flow and releases endorphins. Several studies (links below this post) indicate that exercise decreases sexual dysfunction. Libido even improved in women taking anti-depressants. What am I saying? A couple that plays together…. plays together?
In that vein, I’ve put together a short list of some fun, active date night ideas.
Fun, Active Date Ideas
- Tell your date to take a hike – with you, of course. Not sure where to find your next favorite place to take a long stroll? Download an app like AllTrails. The app is available for both Android and iPhones. It will even overlay images other hikers uploaded so you can scope out the most romantic place for a quick bite to eat.
- Visit a museum that offers tours. My husband and I both hail from Pensacola, a small town in the Florida panhandle famous for the Blue Angels. We are the Cradle of Naval Aviation. On my last visit there, my Fitbit counted 8,000 steps! That’s almost my entire daily quota. I did all that walking without feeling like I spent the whole day working out.
- Go skating! Skating burns some serious cardio. If you are a skating newbie, stay close to the rails and walls. Skate holding hands to your favorite slow songs under the disco ball on a rollerskating rink. Enjoy the delights of winter on an outdoor ice skating ring.
- Try Geocaching. It’s like a treasure hunt with a GPS. Download the app from Geocaching.com to locate the coordinates to small treasures (geocaches). I didn’t think this would be popular in our little town of 20,000, but the app located over 800 geocaches near me.
- Laser tag. Run through a maze with a laser gun and shoot each other! All that running, jumping, and dodging gets the heart pumping.
- Do an obstacle course. If you can’t locate a public obstacle course near you, go to a park or playground. Enjoy the balance beams, monkey bars, and other rides. You may be the oldest youngsters there, but the couple that plays together…. plays together.
Links to Scholarly Articles
- Acute Exercise Improves Physical Sexual Arousal in Women Taking Antidepressants
- Exercise and libido in women.
- Impacts on sexual dysfunction in men under 40.
- Impacts on dysfunction on men over 40.
We enjoy hosting parties and my husband and I are both avid gamers. You can find me on PS4 as SunshineFlaGirl. We also play tabletop RPGs and eurogames.
Latest posts by Alicia Taylor (see all)
- Label This! What does the Organic Label really mean? - July 23, 2017
- Summer Giveaway – Win $100 Paypal or Amazon Cash - July 18, 2017
- 30 minute Oven Baked Shrimp Risotto with Basil and Pecans - July 16, 2017
- Label This! Understanding the USDA 2017 Nutrition Label Updates - July 9, 2017
- Healthy Summer Savings – Stock up on Snacks and Essentials Now! - June 28, 2017