If you perform vigorous exercise daily or live in a hot climate, like I do, you may need more than the recommended amount of daily water intake. But did you know there are benefits to drinking cold water?
Drinking Cold Water Boosts Metabolism and Burns More Calories (Somewhat)
My favorite reason to guzzle the clear stuff in cold form, in fact! Our bodies work hard to maintain a steady 98.6 temperature. Drinking cold water cools our innards. Your body works to stabilize that temperature and can burn as many as 17 calories per 16 oz ice water.
From experience, according to my Fitbit, I burn about 6.6 calories a minute during an intense exercise session. That means that chugging a glass of ice-cold water burns as many calories as 3 minutes of high-intensity rope jumping. (Alicia’s Note: This cannot safely burn enough calories to outrun a bad diet or sedentary lifestyle, but it’s great for a little boost). Beauty tip: It’s also good for the skin!
May Help Prevent Heat Stroke
When warmer temperatures arouse the spring flowers and summer grass, I feel the urge to move my workouts outdoors. Intense exertion in high temperatures can lead to heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Your body absorbs cold water more quickly than warm water and helps lower your core body temperature. Of course, you still need to exercise caution when temperatures soar.
Drinking Cold Water May Help with Alertness
Cold water stimulates adrenaline production. Adrenaline helps wake you up and put you into a more alert state. It also helps stave off dehydration which can make you feel sleepy.
How to Increase Your Cold Water Intake
- Never pass up a water fountain. Water fountains tend to have colder water than drinking from a tap. When out and about, if you see a water fountain, take a moment to imbibe.
- Order a glass of water with your meals. When you sit down to a meal, enjoy a glass of ice water along with your primary beverage. I actually prefer water with my meals as the flavor doesn’t clash with the food.
- Set an alarm on your phone. Never feel thirsty? Set a few alarms to remind you to chug a bit of cold water every few hours.
- Carry an insulated water bottle. My favorite tip! Carry an insulated water bottle. If it’s handy, you are likely to find yourself drinking cold water more often throughout the day. I like the SteadyDoggie Insulated Water Bottle the company sent me to try.
At night, before I go to bed, I fill it with water and put it in the fridge. It holds 20 oz of fluid and maintains the temperature for the entire day.
Yesterday, I left it on the counter, untouched. *Doh* I forgot my trusty water bottle behind. When I finally remembered it (9 hours later), the water was still cold. Additionally, it didn’t sweat all over my countertops (note to friends: use a coaster at Taylor’s Cozy Nook. Sweaty glasses staining tabletops are a major pet peeve.)
SteadyDoggie Insulated Water Bottle comes with 2 lids. One lid has a straw – which is perfect for those cold beverages. The screw top lid is perfect for hot beverages because sipping coffee through a straw? Highly NON-recommended. Because, yeah! This bottle works for coffee, too! (BTW, NO leaks from the straw or cap!)
Bonus for those of us that like to go for walks! It comes with a carabiner so you can easily clip it to a backpack.
Unlike many insulated stainless steel water bottles, the SteadyDoggie Insulated Water Bottle is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. (Another Taylor’s Cozy Nook pet peeve – I hate hand washing dishes). The plastic straw, lids, and stainless steel are BPA free.
I have been enjoying using this water bottle for almost 2 weeks now and haven’t had any problems with it at all. I haven’t had any metallic aftertaste, which I halfway expected. I’m thinking about buying another one so that I always have a cold one in backup – or in case David decides to confiscate it for his road coffee that day.
BONUS: No plastic bottles to throw in the landfill!
I am very happy that SteadyDoggie sent me their water bottle to try. I’ve always thought of insulated water bottles for hot drinks, but I learned they are great at maintaining cold temperatures as well. While I received a significant discount, I genuinely loved the product and wouldn’t tell you that if I didn’t.
We enjoy hosting parties and my husband and I are both avid gamers. You can find me on PS4 as SunshineFlaGirl. We also play tabletop RPGs and eurogames.
Latest posts by Alicia Taylor (see all)
- Sentimentali-TEA. Why This Southern Girl Loves Hot Tea - April 5, 2019
- Save money on prescription medications - March 3, 2019
- Is the VA the cause of Veteran Suicide? - February 1, 2019
- How to keep your cat safe during the holidays - December 2, 2018
- My New Favorite Organic Skin Care Regime - November 4, 2018