Is Popcorn a Healthy Snack?
Popcorn! It’s one of my favorite snacks. It’s the perfect addition to a Netflix-and-chill night! What snack food goes better with your favorite movie? If it’s not drenched in a heart-stopping amount of butter and enough salt to fill the Utah Flats, popcorn is a healthy snack! Natural popcorn is a low-calorie, high-fiber snacking option. On its face, popcorn contains more antioxidants than many fruits and vegetables. For people with diabetes, the high fiber content doesn’t break down like other carbohydrates, so it doesn’t cause a blood sugar spike. It’s high in Vitamin A, Vitamin E, and folate. Oh! Popcorn has more iron than spinach! Check out the image below.
The Microwave Popcorn vs. Hot Air Popcorn Debate
However, I also love the convenience of microwave popcorn. After a long day, I don’t feel like dragging out my hot air popper. Besides, I have to babysit it because mine blows popcorn all over the kitchen if I don’t hold the bowl just right. But I do worry about some of the chemicals used in microwave popcorn processing like diacetyl. It’s not on the label, but many companies still use it. Even though the FDA banned PFOA us on food packaging in 2016, the ban doesn’t extend to almost 100 related cancer-causing chemicals. So, David and I gave up microwave popcorn years ago.
Chemicals aside, bagged popcorn costs much more to make. But, I miss that microwave convenience! So this year, I got a unique microwave popcorn bowl so I can make air-popped microwave popcorn! It’s a silicon BPA-free bowl. You measure your popcorn, put on the lid, and microwave it for 3-4 minutes – just like a bag – but cheaper and no chemicals! Check it out!
David bought this microwave popping bowl for me because of how much I enjoy popcorn. Some people like to do their popcorn in a paper bag, but that’s just more trash for the landfill. My bowl is reusable and dishwasher safe – so I don’t have to worry about whose hands were last inside that paper bag.
You can pop four servings of popcorn at a time (but it tends to overflow the bowl.) I find it’s perfect for 2-3 people. Very few kernels remain unpopped. The amount is on par with my hot air popper.
Popcorn Recipe Roundup
At any rate, I’ve been expanding my popcorn recipe database and thought you might enjoy seeing what I’ve found. Not all of these recipes rank high on the healthy, but it’s still a better option than diving headlong into a chocolate cake because it has the high-fiber and nutrition of popcorn!
Savory Popcorn Recipes
- Parmesan Ranch Popcorn
- Tropical Hawaiian popcorn mix
- Rosemary Parmesan Popcorn
- Italian Brown Paper Bag Popcorn
- Cheesy Italian Popcorn
- Perfect Popcorn Recipe
- Pad Thai Popcorn
- Nutted Popcorn
- Homemade Stovetop Popcorn with Old Bay
- Spicy Tajin Popcorn Recipe
- Sweet and Spicy Curried Popcorn
- Sour Cream and Onion Popcorn
Sweet Popcorn Recipes
- Honey PB Popcorn Bars
- Coconut Curry Popcorn
- Toffee Popcorn with Chocolate
- Chocolate Popcorn Balls
- German Chocolate Popcorn
- Gingerbread Popcorn
- Caramel Cashew Popcorn
- Toasted Sesame and Almond Caramel Popcorn
- Mexican Chocolate Popcorn
- Salted Caramel Popcorn with Almonds
Roundups of several popcorn recipes!
- 30+ Recipes for National Popcorn Day
- 50 Flavored Popcorn Recipes
- 21 Party Time Popcorn Recipes
- 32 Oscar-Worthy Popcorn Recipes
- 50+ Perfect Popcorn Recipes
We enjoy hosting parties and my husband and I are both avid gamers. You can find me on PS4 as SunshineFlaGirl. We also play tabletop RPGs and eurogames.
Latest posts by Alicia Taylor (see all)
- Salt and Pepper Shrimp with Spinach Noodles Recipe - June 11, 2022
- Downton Abbey with Grandma – Gougères Recipe - February 10, 2022
- Pasteli Honey Sesame Bars Recipe - January 29, 2022
- Are Amazon Reviews Trustworthy? How to spot influenced reviews - December 29, 2019
- Coconut Curry Lentil Chickpea Bowls with Kale Instant Pot Recipe - September 30, 2019