1 21 56 52
The popular misconception notwithstanding, Florida experiences seasonal changes. Squirrels fill our wooded acres and I already hear baby birds. Last week, I hung our bird feeders. Our blueberry bushes have tiny, white buds. It’s time to start thinking about planting. Oh. It’s also time to mow the lawn. Any takers?
Now that winter wanes, I grow excited for spring and ready to change out some of our rich winter colors for some lighter spring shades. Since we host parties and get-togethers for spring holidays, such as Easter, Mother’s Day, and David’s birthday, I’m starting with the dining table.
First, I’m bringing out our spring tablecloth. I’m replacing our dark burgundy cloth with a lighter, cornflower blue one. I also found some adorable spring-themed paper plates for those times we have lots of guests. To personalize the setting (and since I sew as well as a blind nanny goat), I’m making no-sew photo mosaic placements for the children’s table, as well.
Since these are laminated, they clean up easily and make a perfect addition to the kids’ table. However, they aren’t too cutesy and won’t detract from your spring home decor.
Supplies for No-Sew Photo Mosaic Placemats
I love photo mosaic artwork, and it’s so easy to make! Photo mosaics are large pictures made up of smaller photos. To make my spring-themed placemats, I downloaded the program TurboMosaic which does all the work for you. You just upload your favorite photo you want as the main photo. Next, you upload several photos you want in the mosaic. Play with the settings till you achieve the desired effect. Click the button to generate your mosaic and Voila! You have your very own piece of art!
I’m going to show you how to turn that personalized art into placemats for your spring table!
For this project, you need:
- The TurboMosaic software program. It’s available for Windows or Mac and has three different versions including a home, advanced, and professional version. TurboMosaic also offers a free trial. The free trial allows you to play with the program to see if you enjoy it, but your finished product includes a watermark.
- Your favorite photo – choose a simple photo with clear lines, sharp contrast, and minimal subjects. For my spring no-sew photo mosaic placemats, I selected this picture of I took of clover flowers.
- Several digital photos you want to make up the main image. I chose photos I took of butterflies, flowers, budding plants, and other spring reminders.
- Scotch 8.9 x 11.4 Laminating Pouches. You can try other brands. I used this brand.
- Laminator or clothing iron.
Steps to Create No-Sew Photo Mosaic Placemats
- Import your photos into the TurboMosaic software program. Select the “Main picture button” to select the primary photo. Next, click the “tile” image button to import your tiles.
- Change the orientation and crop your main photo if necessary.
- Select your settings. Do you want square, round, or hexagon mosaic pictures? How many mosaic tiles do you want? The more mosaic tiles, the smaller the tiles become, and it becomes increasingly harder to determine what images make up the photo. What color background do you want? Select tile spacing and level of shading. Also, tell the program whether you want to use color shading, or use the photo as an overlay, or both. Honestly, there is no magic combination. Choose the options that you like best. Each photo is different.
- Click the “generate mosaic” button.
- Finally, export the photo to your favorite photo viewer and print as many copies as you want to make.
Here is my final result:
- Slide each print into a Scotch 8.9 x 11.4 Laminating Pouch. If you have a laminator, run it through the laminator. If not, lay the piece between two thin rags or two t-shirts with one piece of cloth on top of the pouch and one below it. Make sure it lays flat and wrinkle free. Run it over with a heated iron until the piece is completely sealed.
Here’s how my no-sew photo mosaic placemats look on the table.
Other applications and inspirations
- Print mosaic vacation photos. Modge podge them to a shadow box that holds holiday souvenirs. Beautiful with beach photos on a box holding sea shells.
- For Mother’s Day (or mom’s birthday), make a photo mosaic of her with the tiles of all of her children and grandchildren through the years.
- Make a business logo made of tiles of the products you carry. Great idea for a beauty company!
- Print a mosaic on a T-shirt for Father’s Day.
What other ideas can you think of?
We enjoy hosting parties and my husband and I are both avid gamers. You can find me on PS4 as SunshineFlaGirl. We also play tabletop RPGs and eurogames.
Latest posts by Alicia Taylor (see all)
- Helping Shelter Cats with the Litter for Good Program – and a Giveaway! - February 13, 2018
- Can people with disabilities save money without losing benefits? - February 6, 2018
- What is Manuka Honey? DIY Manuka Honey Rosewater Face Mask - February 5, 2018
- Instant Pot Marathi Rassa – Indian Mixed Vegetables with Coconut Recipe - January 29, 2018
- Is being grateful good for your health? - January 22, 2018
1 21 56 52