So, confession time.
Between October and January 2016, I honestly tried to get a workout in here or there. But, my exercise schedule took a backseat to the holiday parties. Since I’m more introverted than a hibernating caterpillar, I had little energy at the end of the day for anything else. I’m zapped!
On slower days, I’d try to get in a quick session but found myself injuring body parts. That’s weekend warrior syndrome. I just didn’t have it in me.
I’m not complaining. I love my family and adore my friends; I wouldn’t change a thing. These holidays, celebrations, and anniversaries make my year.
Since I knew I had nothing to put toward my fitness plan, I decided to look at it as an experiment. What will happen to the 40-something-year-old body of a relatively fit and healthy female is she skips working out for four months? (My experience – your mileage may vary).
So, Before I reset goals, what did I notice?
My flexibility is still better than it was before I started my fitness journey in 2015, but I experience a noticeable and dramatic decline in flexibility. Things I could easily reach by stretching a little further, I now have to finagle.
I have difficulty doing exercises that require me to balance on one leg and need to revert to the modified version.
At one point, I started looking for a Daily Burn workout alternative. I used their exercise program for two years, and it got me to where I was. However, I had completed most of their advanced programs, and the 365 daily schedule wasn’t difficult enough. Now, their daily routine is kicking my butt. I’ve even had to lay down on our gym floor and recover.
Sleep Schedule and daytime fatigue
I haven’t been able to sleep as comfortably, and my sleep seems more interrupted. I experience more daytime fatigue, which makes it more difficult to exercise. Breaking that cycle is hard.
The muscle tone in my arms is more flaccid than it was before I began this little experiment. I am unable to carry as much weight as easily.
Oops! I’m no longer at my goal weight. I gained 10 pounds back. I’ve been working on it, but those last 10-pounds are being stubborn.
It took a while for me to build motivation the first time around. Now, I’m experiencing difficulty finding the motivation to continue.
Starting Again: The plan to Reset Goals
Lesson: Food-centered holiday months make a lousy time to slack off. Yep! Combining holiday meals with inactivity does what it sounds like it would do. The dryer shrunk my favorite jeans, and my energy wanes.
- I’ve returned to tracking my food. I hadn’t intended to stop, but I frequently forgot during the bustling holidays.
- Work out five days a week. I’ve managed an average of three days since the beginning of January. I know that’s not enough, though. I need to increase it.
- Monitor my weight. Lose those stubborn pounds before I get too attached and opt to buy new clothes instead.
- Start cooking more often. The busy holiday schedule frequently preempted cooking. Getting back into the swing of cooking more regularly has been difficult.
I want to return to my previous fitness level and see my maintenance weight again. I want my strength to come back and see more increased muscle toning.
On that note, I’m gonna hit the workout room. Thanks for reading.
This #BloggersTalkingAbout series features amazing bloggers writing from the heart. Continue reading more by following these links. Starting Over by Joanne | Starting Again by Jenny | When It’s Time To Start Again by Traci | Making Mistakes by Karen | Starting Over by Alicia | Crafty Me by Karen | The Delicate Art Of Starting Again by Nikki | Starting Over by Brandy | Starting Over by Wendy | If you’re a mom/female blogger, join us in our group, Bodacious Bloggers.
We enjoy hosting parties and my husband and I are both avid gamers. You can find me on PS4 as SunshineFlaGirl. We also play tabletop RPGs and eurogames.
Latest posts by Alicia Taylor (see all)
- Maple Farro Veggie Bowl featuring Big Tree Maple Syrup - May 22, 2017
- Summer Vegetable Stew – or what to do with all those co-op veggies. - May 16, 2017
- Red White and Blueberry Patriotic Ice Pops - May 10, 2017
- Born In China Prize Package Giveaway! - April 27, 2017
- Great Free Cat Toys you probably already have - April 19, 2017